Jun 5, 2012

Card from Finland/フィンランド

I received this beautiful card from Finland via Postcrossing.  I smiled when I saw this card because on the right bottom next to Santa Claus, I saw "Finland" written in Japanese (フィンランド).  Cool! :D
You can see old town of "Porvoo" on the upper left-hand, "Northern Lights" on the lower left-hand (beautiful!), "Midnight Sun" on the upper right-hand, and Santa Claus living in Lapland up in the north on the lower right-hand.

"Midnight Sun" reminds me of my visit to Finland in 1997 (Wow, that sounds so long ago! lol).  I was so suprised that their sun didn't go down even at night!  I had a very difficult time sleeping whlie I was there, and I wondered how Finnish people managed to have good sleep in summer when the sun is still so bright outside.

In summer time, what time does the sun go down in your area?  Here in Tokyo, I would say by 7pm, it starts getting darker.  Now the night is getting shorter, and I can feel like that summer is coming soon! :)

フィンランドから届いたポスクロカード。カード右下には日本語で「フィンランド」の文字が☆カード左上はPorvooという古い町、左下は美しいオーロラ、右上は白夜の太陽、そして右下がLaplandに住むサンタクロースです。白夜の太陽は、1997年の夏にフィンランドを訪れた時のことを思い出させてくれます。夏のフィンランドでは夜遅くまで太陽が沈まず、明るいまま。私はなかなか夜眠くならず苦労しました。フィンランドの人達はどうやって睡眠をとっているのかなぁ、と不思議に思ったことを覚えています。最近は日も長くなってきて、そろそろ夏がやってくるんだな、と感じますね。

↓いつもありがとうございます。押していただけると励みになります☆
にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ

6 comments:

  1. Right now it sets between 8:30 and 9:00...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you must live northern area. It's nice to have a longer day though. Do you have summer time where you live? Here we don't, but I wish we had so that we can have a one hour longer day. :)

      Delete
  2. In Southern Finland (Porvoo :D) it goes down around 10.30pm :) I love the fact that it's so light out until then and the sun is already up when I wake up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be nice to have the sun up till 10:30pm. You can enjoy the sun longer and still have dark night. :)

      Delete
  3. Over here also at maybe 9 pm. I'm not quite sure to be honest :) When I lived in Colombia, I had a strict 12-hour day - the sun rose at 6 am and at 6 pm it was gone again. It was a weird feeling at the beginning, because it was still very hot, but - dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9pm sounds good, too! And 6pm sounds a bit to early to have the sun goes down esp. if it's still hot outside.

      Delete